Howl's Moving Castle & Destiny

Once again, I'm super behind on the popular books band wagon. For example, I just read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon two months ago (which, I remember, was super popular approximately six years ago). In that vein, I just finished reading Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Yes, I'm aware that it became super popular circa 2004 and that the movie version is a cult classic. So, on average, it takes nine years for me to get around to reading a popular book.

Anyway, I read Howl's Moving Castle and I absolutely loved it. I found it to be a charming and very sweet novel. In contrast to typical high fantasy novels, I found it to be a straight forward, enjoyable story. The book begins with "In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three." I was drawn into the novel immediately; the story was intriguing and funny and a joy to read. Jones masterfully wove together the different threads of the plot to create a dramatic surprise conclusion.

The characters are equally enjoyable. I quickly fell in love with Calcifer, a Fire Demon with a sense of humor, Howl, a wizard who loves spiders and dying his hair, and Sophie, a young girl resigned to a boring life who gradually gains confidence in her own abilities.

Sophie's story line in particular appealed to me. Sophie believes that because she is the eldest of three she is doomed to a boring and unsuccessful life. While her younger sisters go out to make their fortunes, Sophie remains at home to work for her stepmother. Sophie believes that her place in her family controls her destiny. However, after she moves into Howl's moving castle, she gradually learns that she is a capable young woman and a skilled magician. Howl, on the other hand, believes that he controls his own destiny.

Jones' commentary on destiny is refreshing in comparison to other high fantasy novels. Many fantasy novels rely heavily on themes of prophecy and destiny. Destiny, as a plot device, can take over character's personalities. In my opinion, too many authors use destiny to avoid exploring a character's true motivations and personality. That's lazy story telling. I enjoyed seeing Jones set this plot device on its head. She begins the book by clearly stating that Sophie, as the eldest, will be the least succesful of her sisters. This prophecy turns out to be completely bogus, as Sophie ends up having more adventures than either of her sisters.

In any case, if you're enjoy fantasy novels and are looking for a short, light book, I highly recommend Howl's Moving Castle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiderman is in The Great Gatsby

Noa Noa: Paul Gauguin & Romanticism

Fascinating Characters: Kate, Henry IV Part I