The Best Viking Novels

I don't know about you, but I love a good viking novel. I've been interested in history since I was a kid, and I've always been fascinated by the vikings. There's something about the stories of dragon ships and adventures on the sea that capture the imagination. 

And, I'm certainly not the only person who thinks that way because there are a lot of books about vikings on the market. Of course, there are plenty of non-fiction books out there, and I've read (or listened to; I love audiobooks) to a couple of them, but novels about vikings seem to be much more popular. That being said, not all novels are equal. Personally, I prefer viking novels that encompass the perfect amount of adventure, drama, and (sometimes) romance. 

Since I've been home a lot recently, I've been reading/listening (I love audiobooks) to some old favorites and to some new novels as well. So, today, I want to share some of my favorite viking novels (in no particular order) with you. Happy reading!

Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton

1. Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton - This may be a controversial opinion, but I love Eaters of the Dead. The book, which was later turned into a movie called The 13th Warrior, is a retelling of the Beowulf story, a classic Norse/Old English tale that all students of English literature know well. However, Crichton's adaptation has a twist. Instead of a traditional, novelistic style, the book is written in the form of a historical account, based on the real life description of Volga Vikings written by an Arab ambassador who encountered them. Crichton inserts himself as a narrator in the guise of a modern day scholar who is translating this "historical text." In my opinion, it's a fascinating take on a novel, a fictional story written in a non-fiction style. Although some readers find this style off-putting, I think Eaters of the Dead is a classic and near-perfect viking novel. It is unabashedly gory and unvarnished, reveling in gritty realism and unromantic authenticity. However, adventure and heroism are at the core of this timeless tale. 

The Last Kingdom, the first book in the Saxon Stories series

2. The Saxon Stories Series (The Last Kingdom Series) by Bernard Cornwell - There are few stories more swashbuckling than the adventures of Uhtred of Bebbanburg (or Uhtred son of Uhtred, as he sometimes introduces himself). The Saxon Stories series is a thirteen book series (at the moment), of which I have read seven books so far. The series, which tells the story of the protagonist, Uhtred, is also the inspiration for a wonderful Netflix show called The Last Kingdom. The series tells the story of Uhtred, who was disinherited and forced from his lands as a child, as he tries to reclaim the fortress of Bebbanburg, his family home. Along the way, he is involved in battles and events that shape the history of England. Uhtred himself is not a viking, but he was raised by one, and the viking culture plays a big role in the story. The books are full of moments of outrageous adventure that will make you ask yourself "did they really just do that!?" However, it's also a rather emotional and touching series. The books are written from Uhtred's first person perspective as he looks back at his life as an old man, and they are full of his reflections on love and life and the people he has lost over the years. That being said, Uhtred is also a witty and entertaining narrator, and the books are a wild and fun ride. 

The Half-Drowned King, the first book in the Golden Wolf Saga

3. Golden Wolf Saga by Linnea Hartsuyker - I just finished reading the first book of the Golden Wolf Saga a few days ago, and I was absolutely blown away by it. Although I've only read one of the three books in the trilogy (I'm working on number two as we speak), I can confidently say that you'll find the Golden Wolf Saga hard to put down. Loosely based on the ancient Icelandic family sagas, the story follows two siblings: Ragnvald Eysteinsson's and his sister Svanhild. Ragnvald's story quickly becomes entwined with that of Harald Fairhair, the first king of Norway, and Ragnvald's exploits on the battlefield make fine adventure stories. Svanhild, on the other hand, takes a more complex path. Seeking freedom and adventure, she eventually finds herself married to an outlaw sea king whom her brother hates, adding some romance and drama to the series. In scope and narrative complexity, it's reminiscent of Game of Thrones at its best, with a thrilling twist of love and interpersonal drama. 

The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson

4. The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson - Of all the viking novels I've read, The Long Ships is probably the most literary, well-written book. In many ways, it is probably also the most classic of viking stories (and, apparently, it is one of the most widely read books in Sweden as well). The novel tells the story of a viking named Red Orm and his various adventures across Europe. It has a non-traditional narrative structure. Unlike most novels, which have rising action, a narrative peak, and a resolution, The Long Ships is more like a series of short stories that detail the life of one man. The writing style is light and somewhat humorous, with Orm often grumbling about his bad luck and finding himself in comical situations. While The Long Ships is as swashbuckling or fast-paced as other novels on this list, it is a throughly enjoyable and charming book. Plus, because it was originally published in the 1940s, The Long Ships is probably one of the oldest historical-fiction, viking novels out there! 

The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer

5. The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer - The Sea of Trolls is probably the first viking novel I ever read. As far as I remember, I bought it at a school book fair when I was nine or ten, and I loved it right away. The book is written for children, but I think it's also something that many adults would enjoy. The story follows two Anglo-Saxon children who are kidnapped by viking raiders. Jack, the older child, becomes a Skald (a poet who sings about the accomplishments of warriors) and is invited on an adventure to search for the mythical Mímir's well. Along the way, Jack (and other characters) grow up and learn about themselves. It's a class coming-of-age story with a viking twist. Nancy Farmer also wrote two sequels to this book, but I never liked them as much as the Sea of Trolls. In any case, the novel is a heartwarming and magical adventure story that appeals to readers of all ages. 

Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

Bonus Book: Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman - A few years ago, I decided I was going to read every book ever written by Neil Gaiman. I didn't quite succeed in that goal. However, I did manage to read Odd and the Frost Giants along the way. It tells the story of Odd, a young Norse/viking boy, who embarks upon a journey to Asgard, the home of the gods. Along the way, he encounters a fox, an eagle, and a bear, who turn out to be Loki, Odin, and Thor respectively. Like every book, it is imaginative and well-written. I would definitely recommend it to parents of young readers or any reader who enjoys whimsical fiction. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiderman is in The Great Gatsby

Noa Noa: Paul Gauguin & Romanticism

Fascinating Characters: Kate, Henry IV Part I